Property Overview Inventory List District Map

Sparks House

LHD boundaries as described are approximate and subject to change. Consult the LHD Study Report on file with the relevant local district commission or municipal authority to verify district boundaries and whether a specific property, particularly one in proximity of a boundary line, is within the district. Also note that LHD boundaries may differ from those of State or National Register Districts.

Year of Establishment:
Notes on Establishment:

Approved by CCT on 12/6/2000, Established on 4/17/2001

Property Authority:
Vernon Historic Properties Commission
Link to Commission or Municipal Website:

Building with garage

Architectural Style:


Early 19th Century

This vernacular Georgian house has a rectangular plan with a center chimney featuring original fireplaces on both floors. Its nine-window facade features a center entry flanked by glazed side lights and a transom. Its two-over-two windows appear to date from the early twentieth century. The one story ell at the rear of the house encloses a two-car garage and features the original dug well. The interior of the house maintains the five-room floor plan, typical of the colonial period, and features a large keeping room fireplace with a bake oven and the original stone hearth. The living and the dining rooms retain their original fireplaces. Exposed timber posts are boxed at the corners and exhibit a beaded edge detail at the center bays. Windows and the original four-panel doors are cased with flat stock with edge moldings. Original wainscoting remains at the keeping room. At the second floor, doors, windows and fireplace fronts receive simpler treatment. Plank doors, flat casings and a plain fireplace surround reflect the utilitarian nature of these rooms.

In 1808, Jonas Sparks, one of the 108 freemen who incorporated the town of Vernon in that same year, purchased 35 acres of land near the Phoenix mill in the southwest district of Vernon, and built a clapboard-sided farm house with a central brick chimney. The spacious two-story, Georgian-style farmhouse reflects the prosperity noted by Timothy Dwight when he passed through Vernon on the newly opened Tolland Turnpike in 1807. Dwight remarked on the fertility of the soil, the quality of the grazing land, and the 'comfortable and thriving circumstances' of the farmers.

[1] Property information retrieved from the town of Fairfield website
[2]Report of the Vernon Historic Properties Study Committee, 2000, SHPO Library, Hartford.
Assessor and GIS information retrieved from the website
[SR]Jonas Sparks House, Historic Resource Inventory, Attached with the Study Committee report, SHPO Library, Hartford.

Date of Compilation:
Manjusha Patnaik, CT Trust for Historic Preservation