LHD boundaries as described are approximate and subject to change. Consult the LHD Study Report on file with the relevant local district commission or municipal authority to verify district boundaries and whether a specific property, particularly one in proximity of a boundary line, is within the district. Also note that LHD boundaries may differ from those of State or National Register Districts.
The property at 25 Avery Place consists of Bradley-Wheeler House and Cobblestone Barn. The Bradley-Wheeler House was built in 1795 and remodeled in an Italianate style c.1867. The cobblestone barn, built c.1847, has an octagonal roof and was restored in 1994; it now houses the Museum of Westport History.
According to the 1984 National Register nomination, the Bradley-Wheeler House has been associated with several of Westport's most prominent citizens and businessmen: Ebenezer Coley who built the house for his son Michael, Farman Patchin, Morris Bradley and Charles B. Wheeler. The barn has been documented as the only structure of its type built of stone in Connecticut.