LHD boundaries as described are approximate and subject to change. Consult the LHD Study Report on file with the relevant local district commission or municipal authority to verify district boundaries and whether a specific property, particularly one in proximity of a boundary line, is within the district. Also note that LHD boundaries may differ from those of State or National Register Districts.
The house is a four bay two-story Colonial saltbox with center chimney on rubble stone foundation and a front and side entry. Originally a 2-story front gable vernacular building, it was radically renovated in 1940 with a saltbox form roof extension, dormers on the rear, addition of a kitchen at the front of the house and removal of interior walls.
The original two-story vernacular building at the core of the house was built by the Westport Sanitarium property c.1900, possibly for an employee residence or utilitarian use. It was purchased from the Sanitarium by John and Alvilde Hunt in 1939 and remodeled to its current saltbox form by them in 1940, making it an interesting example of a late Colonial Revival house. John Hunt was a carpenter and mason.