Property Overview Inventory List District Map

Trinity St. Michael's Episcopal Church

LHD boundaries as described are approximate and subject to change. Consult the LHD Study Report on file with the relevant local district commission or municipal authority to verify district boundaries and whether a specific property, particularly one in proximity of a boundary line, is within the district. Also note that LHD boundaries may differ from those of State or National Register Districts.

Town:
Fairfield
Year of Establishment:
2018
Overlapping Historic Designation(s):
LHP
Property Authority:
Fairfield Historic District Commission
Link to Commission or Municipal Website:
Architectural Style:

Romanesque Revival

Era:
1921

Italian immigrant tradesmen used local fieldstone in the 1921 construction of the Romanesque building. A stone campanile rises on the north side of the nave above an arched opening; it bridges to a two story rectory wing. The roof is tiled. A program of alterations by David E Austin was conducted between 1971 and 1973; the west end of the church was extended for a more open entry on the west elevation and the stained glass windows from Trinity Church in Bridgeport were incorporated into the structure. A two-story brick addition off the rear of the church building was built in stages for classrooms, offices, parish hall and kitchen (dates not specified).

Trinity St. Michael's Church was organized in 1921 as St. Michael's Church, a mission for people of Italian descent, under the Bridgeport Episcopal parishes. It was consecrated by Episcopal Bishop Chauncey Bunce Brewster in 1922. After the Episcopal Trinity Church in Bridgeport was destroyed in 1973 to make way for an I95 interchange, many of its features were incorporated into St. Michael's Church, re-consecrated as Trinity St. Michael's.

The church is architecturally significant as an example of an English revival style as applied to institutional buildings, and is characterized by asymmetrical massing, parapets and rustic stone walls. 

Date of Compilation:
5/16/24