LHD boundaries as described are approximate and subject to change. Consult the LHD Study Report on file with the relevant local district commission or municipal authority to verify district boundaries and whether a specific property, particularly one in proximity of a boundary line, is within the district. Also note that LHD boundaries may differ from those of State or National Register Districts.
This two-story two-bay cross-gable roof Queen Anne house is surfaced with clapboard and rest on a foundation. The most distinctive decorative element of this house is the second floor; its prominent front gable end is trimmed with paneled barge bards with bull's-eye blocking motif and supported by deep, chamfered brackets. Such brackets also support an elaborate peak ornament consisting of a finial and star-shaped designs. The two bays of the second floor are topped by elaborately shingled shed roofed hoods. At the rear of the ell, the second floor is articulated as a dormer whose barge boards have bull's-eye paneling enframing a peak ornament consisting of stars and circles. The window in this dormer contains Queen Anne sash and is further topped by elaborate drill and cut-work shingles. Although the porch has been partially filled in, its corner forms a one-bay entry porch supported by turned posts and star-shaped, cut-work brackets.
Fairfield Directories and historic maps indicate that this circa 1890 house was owned by George E Northrup, the proprietor of the Northrup Brothers Coal and Lumber company, as early as 1895. Northrup, a successful Southport businessman, had too many land acquisitions to successfully document his purchase of this property. Architecturally significant as a good example of the Queen Anne style in Fairfield, the house has retained its elaborate peak ornaments, characteristic of the style. The house is further significant as a contributing element in the architecturally cohesive streetscape of Southport's Pequot Avenue.
 District information retrieved from the town website http://www.fairfieldct.org/.
 Fairfield Historic Properties Study Committee Report, 1999, SHPO Library, Hartford.
 170 Pequot Avenue, Fairfield, Historic Resources Inventory, Bedford Steven and Lucas Nora, 1988, SHPO Library, Hartford.
Assessors information retrieved from the website www.visionappraisal.com.