LHD boundaries as described are approximate and subject to change. Consult the LHD Study Report on file with the relevant local district commission or municipal authority to verify district boundaries and whether a specific property, particularly one in proximity of a boundary line, is within the district. Also note that LHD boundaries may differ from those of State or National Register Districts.
Buildings, Green, Open spaces
Colonial, Greek Revival
The Millington Green Historic District is a group of 18th and early 19th century buildings set along Millington Road, Tater Hill Road, and Haywardville Road in East Haddam, Connecticut, surrounding a small triangular parcel of land known as Millington Green. The buildings include six houses, one of which was formerly the parsonage for the Congregational Church, a former one-room schoolhouse now used as a community center, and several small associated barns and other outbuildings. The green that is at the center of the Millington Green Historic District is mostly lawn, with a few tall shade trees along the periphery. The green was formerly the site of the 1832 Congregational Church, the second meetinghouse on the site, which was destroyed by fire in 1971. Although there are some small signs, a planter, a bench, and a flagpole on the green, the green and its fixtures are counted as one contributing site. The Millington Green Historic District exhibits a high degree of integrity, both as a whole and in its constituent properties, which for the most part exhibit appropriate window, entryway, siding, and chimney materials. The only modern building in the district, the c. 1952 house at 500 Tater Hill Road, reportedly incorporates an earlier schoolhouse into its design. [NR]
Architecture, Commerce- The Millington Green Historic District is significant because its historic houses, former one-room school, and the green itself recall a once-common type of settlement important to the historical development of New England: the rural crossroads, usually composed of no more than a dozen buildings, that served as a religious, commercial, and social focus for the surrounding agricultural area. Distinct from the main town center, villages such as Millington were small settlements related only to a portion of the larger town. As was typical, Millington grew up around a Congregational meetinghouse, the first of which was built about 1740; the 1832 successor to this structure was destroyed by fire in 1971. However, an associated parsonage, the common land that surrounded the meetinghouse and makes up Millington Green, an 1854 schoolhouse, and numerous houses of the 18th and early 19th century do survive to recall the historic appearance of the village.
The Millington Green Historic District also has architectural significance, since several of its buildings embody the distinctive characteristics of New England Colonial and Greek Revival architecture. Well-preserved, with their small-pane windows, brick chimneys, doorway transoms, and clapboarded exteriors intact, these buildings typify the architecture of the early New England countryside. [NR]
 District information retrieved from the town website http://www.easthaddam.org/. Millington Green Historic District, Report of the Historic District Study Committee, 1988, SHPO Library, Hartford.  Assessors information and Parcel IDs retrieved from the website http://www.rmsreval.com/results.asp?ID=186604973&town=East%20Haddam. [NR] Clouette Bruce and Cronin Maura, edited by John Herzan, East Haddam Historic District, National Register Nomination Number- 96000782 NRIS, National Park Service, 1996 - http://pdfhost.focus.nps.gov/docs/NRHP/Text/96000782.pdf; http://pdfhost.focus.nps.gov/docs/NRHP/Text/96000782.pdf.
The Millington Green local historic district is contained within the National Register Historic District. [NR]