LHD boundaries as described are approximate and subject to change. Consult the LHD Study Report on file with the relevant local district commission or municipal authority to verify district boundaries and whether a specific property, particularly one in proximity of a boundary line, is within the district. Also note that LHD boundaries may differ from those of State or National Register Districts.
The Austin House site is an excellent example of vernacular architecture in New Fairfield. Few standing historical dwellings have retained the number of outbuildings that this site has, and even fewer have retained their architectural integrity. The house is composed of three distinct sections, the earliest of which is probably the center which dates to the early to mid- 18th century. The current appearance of the house owes much to the additions on either side of the original structure in the early and late 19th century. The addition the southern side of the house incorporates traditional elements from both the Georgian (1700-1780) and Federal (1780 - 1820) periods. The combination of elements from both architectural styles indicates that this addition was built during the early 19th century.
Although the date of house construction and original ownership is unknown, prior to the 1830s, the house has always been associated with the early industrial community surrounding it. The residential complex was situated directly within the heart of a thriving industrial center, and supported a general store for many years. Its importance and role as a focal point to the nineteenth century community is evidenced by the fact that the Battle of Charcoal Run took place here in 1861.
 Historic Property information retrieved from the town website http://www.newfairfield.org/.
 Quasset School, Frog Pond Road, Woodstock, Historic Resources Inventory, McClellean Jean, 1991, SHPO Library, Hartford.
Assessors information retrieved from the website www.visionappraisal.com