Jesup Road Historic District
- Historic/Common Name:
- Westport »
- Year of Establishment:
- Historic Designation:
- LHD, SR
- District Authority:
- Westport Historic District Commission
- Nature of Authority:
- Regulatory [ The Historic District Commission has the responsibility of overseeing six local historic districts and 14 local historic landmark properties. The districts include- Kings Highway North Historic District, Jesup Road Historic District, Violet Lane Historic District, Gorham Avenue Historic District, Evergreen Avenue Historic District and 20 & 26 Morningside Drive South Historic District.
- District Character:
- Urban Neighborhood
- Eligible for Historic Home tax credits:
- General description:
The district includes four properties- three properties on Jesup Road and the Town Hall at Post Road East, which is individually listed in the National Register. The Old Town Hall in Westport, Connecticut, is a 2 1/2 -story, masonry building with exterior cobblestone walls, heavy, quarry-faced brownstone trim, and a high, hipped, slate roof. The building is separated from the street by a front yard or court that is flat but is elevated above the grade of the public sidewalk along the street.
- Significance of the district:
Architecture: The Old Town Hall in Westport is an eclectic combination of the use of cobblestones with a Neo-Classical Revival style architectural design.
- District Boundary:
The district includes three properties on Jesup Road and one property on Post Road East, as described in the district ordinance.
Buildings, Open space
- Architectural Style:
Federal, Stick, Greek Revival, Italianate, Gothic Revival, Neo Classical
- 19th Century, 20th Century
 District information retrieved from the town website http://www.westportct.gov/. Westport Historic Resource Inventories accessed from the town website [http://www.westportct.gov/modules/showdocument.aspx?documentid=910]. Historic District handbook accessed in the town website [http://www.westportct.gov/modules/showdocument.aspx?documentid=280]. GIS information retrieved from http://webmap.jws.com/taxmap/viewer.aspx?JWSCONFIG=CT_Westport. [NR] Ransom David F., Town Hall, National Register Nomination Number- 82004343 NRIS, National Park Service, 1982 - http://pdfhost.focus.nps.gov/docs/NRHP/Text/82004343.pdf; http://pdfhost.focus.nps.gov/docs/NRHP/Photos/82004343.pdf.
Map of the historic district retrieved from the Historic District Commission Handbook.View photo
The street addresses and the parcels IDs of the designated properties have been obtained from the Westport Historic Resource Inventories accessed from the town website. For further information, the user is urged to contact the respective Historic District Commission.
- Date of Compilation:
- Manjusha Patnaik, CT Trust for Historic Preservation