Greenfield Hill Historic District
- Historic/Common Name:
- Greenfield Hill National Register District
- Fairfield »
- Year of Establishment:
- Historic Designation:
- LHD, NRHD, SR
- District Authority:
- Fairfield Historic District Commission
- Nature of Authority:
- District Character:
- Suburban neighborhood
- Eligible for Historic Home tax credits:
- General description:
Greenfield Hill is a rural community of charm and beauty set apart from the centers of industry, commerce, and politics. In the past it has been an agricultural community and a cultural center. It includes Timothy Dwight Park, located between Hillside Road, Old Academy and Bronson Roads, which is the site of Timothy Dwight's famous Academy where young women and men were admitted to study Latin, Greek, Calculus, Surveying and Navigation.– While the original structure of which a substantial part remains is old, the interest arises from the fact that between 1901 and 1915 it served as The main building of the Greenfield Hill Country Club (1901-15) at 2829 Bronson Road had an objective "to afford opportunity for the study of agriculture, music and literature, and to promote good fellowship and social improvement." There was a quarter-mile racetrack, cattle sheds, a vegetable building and a building for the display of agricultural implements; four-day fairs, display of livestock, prizes for sheep, cattle, poultry, field crops, bread, cakes and pies. Such activity exemplifies what may be overlooked, namely that Greenfield Hill grew out of an essentially agricultural background. [NR]
- Significance of the district:
Architecture, Agriculture, Education, Literature and Political: Greenfield Hill Historic District is significant because it has been the intellectual and cultural center of the Town of Fairfield. It became famous as the location of the Academy founded by Timothy Dwight and conducted by him for 12 years immediately preceding his appointment as President of Yale. Abraham Baldwin, who lived in one of the houses within the Greenfield Hill Historic District, moved to Georgia in 1784 and there he not only became a delegate to the convention that drafted the Constitution of the United States, but also a key figure in the compromises that permitted its adoption by the various States. He founded the University of Georgia and became its first president. Scholars of note came from all over the United States and from abroad to Greenfield Hill: Joel Barlow, the poet, and Talleyrand were frequent visitors. Another who has played an important role in the political life of the nation was Gideon Tomlinson who served as U.S. Congressman and Senator and was governor of the State from 1827-1837. Although many structures have been altered over the years, Greenfield Hill has been fortunate in being able to command the services of expert architects who have worked with appreciation for the values and styles of the past. In these changes and restorations they have succeeded in capturing or retaining these values. Nor have the modern houses marred the general character and tone of the area, though several of them are very different from the traditional Colonial or Federal types that predominate. [NR]
- District Boundary:
The historic district in Greenfield Hill includes the area comprising the village green and adjacent properties on Meeting House Lane , Hillside Road and Old Academy Road, and extending southerly on both sides of Bronson Road and Hillside Road to a point beyond Verna Hill Road on the later, as more fully and particularly described by Map and Tax Parcel number as follow: 171/28-32 (inclusive), 173/17-19 (inclusive), 173/28, 173/29, 173/35-37 (inclusive), 173/43, 173/44, 173/54-56 (inclusive), 173/ 60-65 (inclusive), 223/1, 223/10 and 223/11. 
The district includes the following addresses: Bronson Road- 2793 thru 3244 plus Cemetery, Town Green, etc; Greenfield Hill Road- 566 thru 620; Hillside Road- 820 thru 1386; Hubbell Lane- 174; Meeting House Lane- 39 thru 105; Old Academy Road- 745 thru 1130 and Verna Hill Road- 280,317, plus 710. 
Buildings, Cemetery, Others (Windmill, Well, Etc).
Residential, Educational, Religious.
- Architectural Style:
- 18th century, 19th century.
 District information retrieved from the town website http://www.fairfieldct.org/. Final report of the Fairfield Historic District Commission, 1966, with respect to to the establishment of Historic districts in Greenfield Hill and Southport, SHPO Library. Assessors information retrieved from the website www.visionappraisal.com.[NR] Constance Luyster, Greenfield Hill Historic District, National Register Nomination Number- 71000899 NRIS, National Park Service, 1971 - http://pdfhost.focus.nps.gov/docs/NRHP/Text/71000899.pdf; http://pdfhost.focus.nps.gov/docs/NRHP/Photos/71000899.pdf
The list of the properties enlisted in the historic district has been obtained from the final report of the Fairfield Historic District Commission, 1966, with respect to to the establishment of Historic districts in Greenfield Hill and Southport, SHPO Library.  The district also includes at least six other properties for which only the owner name and contact address has been provided in the report, without the street address nor the parcel IDs.
District boundary map obtained from the town website.View PDF
The list of the designated properties has been obtained from the Historic District Committee Final Report, 1966, SHPO Library, Hartford. For further information on the district, the user is urged to contact the respective district authority.
- Date of Compilation:
- Manjusha Patnaik, CT Trust for Historic Preservation